Who is eligible?
Eligible students must reside in Texas and plan to attend an accredited four-year institution post-graduation. Only current high school seniors may apply for the scholarship. The Kennedy Foundation only recognizes colleges and universities accredited by one of the six regional accreditation agencies.
What GPA do I need?
Please know that Kennedy Foundation award recipients must have a 3.0 cumulative GPA to be eligible.
Which application should I complete?
All applicants who have never received a Kennedy Foundation scholarship may complete the application by submitting online or by mailing a copy of the application to the given address. Please make sure your application is submitted online or has been mailed to the given address by Thursday, October 20, 2016. If you submit your application online, a confirmation email will be sent immediately after successful application submission.
What do I need to include?
1) High School Transcript: Please submit a copy of official high school transcript.
2) Letters of Recommendation: We want to know what others have to say about you! Please include letters of recommendation from a guidance counselor, teacher, or other faculty member. Please keep in mind that all recommendations must come from faculty members of your current school.
3) IRS Form 1040, 1040 EZ or FAFSA: If you are considered a dependent and are listed on your parent’s tax forms, please enclose a copy of their tax forms. If there is a reason you cannot provide these forms, please explain in the Financial Need Statement section of the application or include a written statement with your other mailed supporting documents.
You may submit 2016 tax forms if 2017 forms are not available. If submitting 2016 forms please explain any significant income change and include an estimate of current income.
Financial information is confidential and used by the office to estimate financial need; however, feel free to black out or remove the social security numbers.
Please send all documents in ONE envelope to:
Director of Scholarships
2401 Fountain View Drive Suite 420
Houston, TX 77057
To be completed or submitted with the on-line scholarship application:
1) Essay: The essay not only demonstrates your writing ability but also conveys your personality and other qualities previously not listed on the application. Please write a 750-1,000 word essay describing what diversity means to you.
Make sure that the essay falls within our scholarship application parameters (i.e. 1000 word limit).
If uploading your essay to the online application, please include your full name at the top of the document.
2) Financial Need Statement: The cost of college is a financial burden to most families. Please include any family circumstance that may affect your family’s ability to pay for college. Be as specific as possible.
Where do Kennedy Foundation scholars attend college?
Scholarship recipients may attend any 4-year non-profit accredited institution in the United States. Please keep in mind that the Foundation only recognizes the main regional accrediting agencies as viable.
When will students be notified of scholarship decisions?